Politics is an ugly game of deception that our founding fathers understood would always exist but it is shocking to I was part of a generation that experienced the best America had to offer and yes, I am a first-wave baby boomer. Rebuilding a country after a world war brought out the very best in our culture. The population of the US, before the boomers arrived in 1946, was approximately 140 million. Within a few years, the boomers accounted for a population increase of 79 million and with it a generation of innovation and prosperity.
Socialism and Communism took an unplanned vacation during the boomer years. There was no need to divide our nation by race, ethnicity, or economic platforms. Our sheer numbers embodied the spirit of America; just as was envisioned by our founding fathers. The excitement of building our nation based on the uniqueness of self-reliance, educational advancement, and freedom, left little room for the controlling, relentless, destructive forces of Socialism and Communism.
Locking in Civil Rights
Blacks in the U.S. still have it tough in many ways, mainly as a result of the welfare state. The Jim Crow laws of legalized segregation are gone, thanks to the boomers, and racism, formal or informal, is dead or dying. This was the signature cause of the Baby Boomers. “We shall overcome” had become “we overcame”; at least until the mid-1960s
- Baby boomer innovators like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs gave us the personal computer and the biggest advancement in communications the world has ever seen.
- Steven Spielberg. A fellow 1946 boomer is America’s most acclaimed movie director. His stock in trade is clever cinematography and cultural stereotyping. The world would be poorer without Jaws, E.T., Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Schindler’s List, The Color Purple, and Saving Private Ryan.
- When Saturday Night Live premiered in 1975, starring comedy legends (and boomers) like John Belushi, Bill Murray, and Gilda Radner, it was the best thing on TV. Still, 47 years later, it’s one of the most talked-about comedy shows in the world. Thinking about the fact that boomer audiences watched and debated SNL’s early sketches about President Richard Nixon the same way we watched Alec Baldwin’s impressions of Donald Trump is actually pretty amazing.
- When President John F. Kennedy established the Peace Corps in 1961, https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/peace-corps-established creating opportunities for everyday U.S. citizens to go overseas and help “break the bonds of mass misery,” thousands of letters poured into Washington from young American boomers hoping to volunteer.
- Female boomers were the first group to have earned their own money for most of their lives; that’s never happened before.
- Boomers also lived in a world where serial killers like Ted Bundy, Richard Ramirez, and John Wayne Gacy were a horrifying reality. Yet it was a British boomer named Sir Alec Jeffreys, a genetics professor at the University of Leicester, who discovered how to sequence strands of DNA that were as distinct and unique as fingerprints. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Jeffreys
Things Have Changed
- The fight for LGBTQIA+ rights in many ways began in 1969 at The Stonewall Inn, a gay bar in New York City where boomer patrons, tired of being harassed by the police, started fighting back. The next year, on the anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, boomers marched through the streets of New York, in what’s considered to be the country’s first gay pride march. Today, towns and cities all over the country and the world host their own pride celebrations, and younger generations barely realize that they’re following in the footsteps of boomers.
- The seasonal flu has morphed into a pandemic event, with lockdowns, masks, and vaccine passports, thanks to the likes of Dr. Fauci and President Biden. However, the 1969 Hong Kong Flu was handled by ½ million boomers attending Woodstock. Notice the social distancing https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8320761/Woodstock-occurred-Hong-Kong-flu-pandemic-killed-1-million-people-worldwide-100-000-Americans.html
- Sadly, complacency has opened the door to political corruption, corporate greed and entitlements. Our government leaders are once again in control, espousing the virtues of past failed societies that fall prey to the empty words of “leftist” politicians who earn their living off the backs of taxpaying citizens. In 1963, the Communist party in the US set 45 written goals to take over America by 2030 https://www.citizensjournal.us/the-communist-partys-45-goals-to-destroy-the-united-states/ (after the era of the baby boomer). To date 28 goals have been achieved, most without the knowledge of a compliant society.
- Most disturbing is the push for gender neutrality, full-term abortion rights, schools espousing Critical Race Theory, and the politicization of the LGBTQIA community. Mandatory reading in some primary grade schools includes “My Princess Boy”, a story about a non-conforming boy with gender identity issues, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Princess_Boy or attempts to normalize the lesbian family structure in “Heather Has Two Mommies” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heather_Has_Two_Mommies
The sad reality is that what we are witnessing is not unique and has been implemented to convince people that government control is the best form of citizen security. Most recently was the complete socialist takeover of the democracy in Venezuela. https://salmartingano.com/socialism-in-venezuela-the-downward-spiral/ Within two years the socialist oppression was clearly established, implementing the message from “The Marxist Revolutionary Catechism” https://robertspencer.org/2021/06/journalist-james-simpson-discusses-marxisms-ideologues-and-their-modern-influence-on-the-red-green-alliance and the “Communist Manifesto” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Communist_Manifesto. Once implemented, freedom is lost forever and within a few years atrocities begin.
We are facing our greatest domestic challenge as a country. We cannot be defeated easily by war but will unwittingly give up our sovereignty and freedom for the false security hidden within Socialism. The baby boomer generation had no need nor tolerance for such controlling forces; we were too busy building a free society where individualism not collectivism results in success.
A Universal Synopsis
A universal synopsis of life during the boomer years was captured in my 2020 book; “Boys of Brooklyn….A Time When Life Never Sucked”. The adventures captured the universal consciousness of America. Unfortunately, America has said goodbye to those years in favor of the very destructive ways of life that existed before the boomers. https://salmartingano.com/product/boys-of-brooklyn/
The Attorney General of the U.S. Merrick Garland stated that parents who question school boards for teaching 2nd & 3rd graders “gender identity” as in the initials LBGTQ, should be prosecuted as domestic terrorists. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/garland-can-t-imagine-labeling-protesting-parents-domestic-terrorists/ar-AAPNB1g Really……